Sunday 6 November 2011

Regents Park 10K - November (slight return)

It was a bit chilly this morning that's for sure; a real shock to the system when I stepped out to the car. By the time I reached Regents Park and headed out to warm-up I was feeling stiff, slow and demotivated. So it's not surprising that I didn't even notice that we were about to start so busy was I with chatting to Anthony; it could have been the London Marathon it took me so long to cross the start line! Not that it mattered as I felt like I was running backwards with so many people streaming past me. So I resigned myself to yet another uninspiring slog around Regents Park with very little to show for my training.

And so it went for the first lap, all 3 kilometres of it. Then, as we headed towards the drinks station, something seemed to click within me. Last week I'd been reading about this new running fad, the 100-Up technique, and I'd managed to track down a video of what it involved. It isn't rocket science, especially if you've looked into barefoot running and the pose technique, but it makes some sense as a drill and I like the fundamentals behind it. So I'd been thinking about my running form and how I'd like to try and maintain good form throughout this 10K whatever my pace. For the first lap nothing, not a flicker, but then I somehow seemed to change gear and suddenly I was running light on my feet, and quickly, for no extra effort.

At last a pace graph to be proud of!
This was great! Up ahead I could see Anthony and then in no time I'd caught and passed him; in fact throughout the rest of the second lap I just kept powering through the pack and running more smoothly than I've manged in a long time. It felt great! Coming into the third lap I still felt good, although there were fewer runners to chase, when a woman came past me quite strongly. More of a magnet than a challenge I managed to keep in touch with her as we reeled in yet more competitors. Then when she faltered at about 8K I put in a strong effort and suddenly I was alone - until about the 9K mark. Right then I noticed a heavy, laboured breathing that was pulling itself closer.

Waiting until about the 800m to go mark, where my pursuer seemed ready to make the kill, I kicked once again and surged hard. For a little while it seemed like I'd left it too late and that I was going to get taken; I didn't have anything else to give (if the pain in my legs, gut and arms was to be believed). But then I realised that he'd fallen out of earshot and maybe out of contention; although with the finish line in sight I couldn't afford to relax. So a sprint finish it was with me sprinting against a shadow, a phantom of unknown and unknowable powers. Only when I crossed the line did I chance to look round and there he was just a few seconds back; as was the lady who'd helped me - a nice symmetry being that I helped her to a PB!

In retrospect then a very solid race - although I had to work hard and my legs are feeling the effort that I made to maintain good form - and there's no doubt that thinking about landing lightly and stepping over logs as I ran made a significant difference. The results aren't out yet but with a time of around 40:39 I'm very content with my improvement over last month; long may this trend continue!

Distance: 10.0 miles
Time: 1h 14m 23s

2 comments:

  1. Damian,

    That is what you would call flow...

    Nice one!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy - it was a pretty cool feeling alright. Let's hope that my running muse is still there next time I need it!

    ReplyDelete