Wednesday 19 October 2011

Footsteps in the frost

It's turning into a bit of a routine this running-to-work on a Wednesday morning lark - although this morning was a little bit unusual. Given that I needed to be at my desk by 8:30am today, that it takes about an hour door-to-door and that I woke up at 7:35 well you do the math! In ten minutes flat I was up and out with no thought given to the wintry conditions outside; all I wanted to do was get my head down and try to maintain a stiff pace the whole way in.

A touch of frost?
Of course the only things that got stiff (quiet at the back) were my exposed limbs. It was just a little on the chilly side and I felt distinctly under-dressed what with everyone else I saw kitted up in gloves, mufflers and woolly hats. Still I was rather incentivised to keep padding through the lightly frosted grass (which looked very pretty in the low morning light) and to power through the pedestrians blocking my path in Kentish Town and beyond.

Happily I managed to keep my pace high, despite a few aches and pains springing up, and avoid stopping too much for the traffic. On foot I guess I become one of those suicidal London pedestrians who insists on slicing through slow-moving traffic jams rather than wait for the lights to change. How naughty but at least in this civilised country we don't have cops that molest jaywalkers! Let's hope that this is one law that we don't import from America - it would really hold up my running for a start.

Distance: 7.8 miles
Time: 57m 25s

No comments:

Post a Comment