Wednesday 24 August 2011

Man about town - it's been a while

Life is just full of surprises isn't it? Not all that long ago, back in the Spring, it seemed like every time I ran it was in the centre of town and to the usual places - St. James Park, Green Park, Hyde Park and (if I was lucky) Regents Park. In a way I was almost bored of padding the same old paths. And yet today I went out for a lunchtime run and realised that it's been two months - yes, that's right, 8 whole weeks - since I last set foot on this hallowed ground. That's kind of scary, a little depressing and it's no wonder I'm not the man I used to be!

It may not be long but it's a start
From that perspective then I feel quite pleased with my short run today; it wasn't too painful, the sun was shining and I don't feel like I aggravated any of my injuries in a disastrous way. So I take this as a sign of success and reckon that this is going to be my approach for a while - a decent number of short runs combined with as much cross-training (swimming and cycling) as I can squeeze in. At least then I should manage to regain a certain amount of core fitness even if it's not 'run fitness'.

Oh yes and I also slotted in 4 minutes of barefoot running (up and down the pavement behind the Adelphi) at the end of the run. It doesn't sound like much, it never does, but I felt pretty good apart from taking a small amount of skin off of one of my toes; small beer compared to my other toe (the one that almost got broken) and that little piggy is definitely healing nicely. Just call me the walking wounded!

Distance: 4.5 miles
Time: 35m 46s

No comments:

Post a Comment